Sunday, July 1, 2012

I'll See You When I See You...

I wrote this article for the church magazine at St. Thomas/St. Lukes that came out this month...


When I was asked to write an article back in November about my time so far here in Ashton, I talked about photography, and the limitations of a picture.  About how a picture couldn’t capture how welcoming this community has been, the energy and excitement of the St. Thomas and St. Luke’s congregation, or the strength of the amazing Christians that I’ve been lucky enough to meet this year.  A photograph cannot capture any of those things, just in the same way that words cannot show my gratitude for this year.

This isn’t an easy article to write.  I didn’t know how to start it, how to fill it, or how to finish it.  I was struggling.  When finally, someone asked, “In one sentence, what do you want to say?”  All I could really think of was “Thank you.”  I know that is simple, just two words, but there will never be enough words for me to truly express how grateful I am for everything this year.

Thank you for your welcoming and encouraging spirit.  I know not everything I’ve tried to do this year has worked, there have been equally as many failures, probably more, to accompany the successes, but through it all there was encouragement from those around me, who truly wanted to see the youth ministry at St. Thomas grow.  And just as encouraging as people were, they were welcoming of new ideas.  They may not have worked, but you were willing to try.

Thank you for your hospitality.  The number of homes I’ve been invited into to share a meal has been amazing.  I think sitting down and breaking bread with someone is one of the most amazing ways to get to know them.  You’re able to share stories and grow a friendship.  If we look in scripture we can see that over and over Jesus did his teaching while sharing meals.  Friendships are built on the intimacy of sharing a meal and inviting someone into your home.  

Thank you also for your amazing witness.  I spoke in my first article about your strength and how you have made a commitment, and stand by it.  I have been forced to evaluate my beliefs this year.  I’ve had separate my true beliefs from what is because of my cultural upbringing.  This has been a very powerful reflection for me.  It has made me stronger in my faith, and I have you to thank.

When I return home, people will ask me over and over about my year, what I was able to see, where I was able to travel to.  They will want to see my pictures and hear about Paris, Ireland, and Premier League games.  They might see those pictures but they are going to hear about the people, the people I shared these experiences with.  They won’t hear about Drop In, they’ll hear about the amazing leaders that were there every Friday night that were the hands and feet of God to these youth.  I won’t be telling them about the town itself, but rather the people and the amazing conversations I had with them at the pub.

Now, I’m not one for goodbyes.  If you don’t believe me you can ask my parents about our goodbyes back in August.  Let’s just say you wouldn't try to sell the movie rights to them.  I don’t like goodbyes because they seem so final.  There is a song by a popular American country artist, Jason Aldean, entitled “See You When I See You.”  Now he might be talking about a girl in the song, but the first few lines are,

“Let's don't say goodbye
I hate the way it sounds
So if you don't mind
Let's just say for now
See you when I see you
Another place some other time”

So let me first say THANK YOU St. Thomas and St. Luke’s, but I also want you to know, this isn’t goodbye - I’ll see you when I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment