Monday, November 7, 2011

Remember remember the fifth of November...

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

This popular rhyme may be known by many, but do you know the significance?  In 1605, there were thirteen Catholic men who planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament in an attempt to kill King James I.  Luckily the King intercepted a letter that one of the 13 had written to a friend telling them to stay away from the Parliament buildings on November 5.  When the guards went down to the cellar they found Guy Fawkes guarding 36 barrels of gunpowder, he was arrested, tortured and executed.  On the night that the Gunpowder Plot was ruined there were bonfires that were ignited all throughout the city to celebrate the safety of the King.  Since then, November 5th has been known as Bonfire Night or Guy Fawkes night.

During my first weekend here, I was talking to Rosie about holidays.  Bonfire night came up, and she explained some of the history behind it, and then that people have huge bonfires and set off fireworks.  It sounded like my kind of celebration, and I just couldn’t wait!

So, this past Saturday I went to the Cornthwaite’s house.  I have tea at their house once a week.  They live on a farm and had decided to have a bonfire in one of their fields.  Kat picked me up and we headed to the farm Saturday night.  Jonty had already built the bonfire and was starting to light it when we got there.  It was a simple night full of hamburgers, delicious chocolate coated apples, fireworks, and awesome talks by the bonfire.  It was a really fun night to chill and enjoy everyone’s company.  It’s a holiday that brings communities together.  There were a few places in Ashton where there were public bonfires for anyone in the community.  Everyone would meet and catch up and bring their fireworks to have set off.  As simple as it seems it was by far one of my favorite events I’ve been a part of since I have been here in England.  I think some of the history has been lost through the years, but the tradition and community that is built around this holiday is really amazing!

Our great bonfire!

Kat, Jonty, and me

Some of the beautiful fireworks we were able to see from the farm.

Jilly and I enjoying our beautiful chocolate covered apples - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment