Sunday, November 20, 2011

What a photograph can't do...

This is an article that I have just written for the upcoming magazine for St. Thomas.  I was asked to write an article about my time here so far, and I thought I would share it with you as well.

The past three months have flown by and have left me with so many memories.  I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I almost always have my camera with me.  I became very interested in photography a little over a year ago, and before I left the states, I saved up a bit of money to buy a nice camera for my stay in England.  Going to my first premier league game at DW stadium, visiting Liverpool, going for tea in Manchester, visiting the Lake District, seeing Manchester United play at Old Trafford,  visiting London, and many other things are great memories that I have been able to capture with my camera.  But to me, the memories that mean the most, are the ones I cannot capture with my camera.

From the very beginning of my time here, I have felt so welcome.  The members of St. Thomas have been amazing, always asking how I’m settling in, helping me out with names, inviting me for tea, and encouraging me with the simple gift of a smile and a hello.  These are part of the reason I have felt so at home here in Ashton, even though I may be so far away from my home in South Carolina.  These feelings and emotions will never truly be captured through a photograph.

Also, the energy and excitement around St. Thomas is amazing to me.  In an environment where being a Christian and going to church is not common, St. Thomas is a place where people are excited about spreading the gospel.   It may be an uphill battle, but the parishioners of St. Thomas find it a battle worth fighting.  Even after just a few weeks here, I started to think that maybe churches where I grew up take the numbers that participate in certain ministries for granted.  At St. Thomas there are so many programs set up to reach out to the community, and I find it amazing and refreshing.

One Friday night I went out with two people from St. Thomas.  While we were in a pub, we ran into a friend of theirs and two of his friends.  The six of us were sitting there having a nice conversation, and at some point it led to the topic of church.  One of the men said, “I don’t believe in God.”  Although this was not an uncommon comment for my friends from St. Thomas to hear, I sat there realizing the huge impact this man’s statement was having on me.  I know there are people where I grew up that didn’t believe in God, but I had never heard someone so blatantly just come right out and say it.  I sat there, wondering what to say, when the member from St. Thomas saw this as an opportunity to invite them to Refresh (this is a contemporary service that St. Thomas does once a month).  She wasn’t afraid to put it out there, to be rejected, or to possibly kill the conversation.  She knew it was worth it.  I have thought back to that night many times.  This situation may be common to many of you reading this.  I admire the fact that you have made that commitment to Christ even though the community surrounding you, outside the church, is not supportive.  Your strength is something I will never be able to capture with my camera.

Even though the holidays are quickly approaching, and the idea that I won’t be with my family in South Carolina is becoming more and more real, I am thankful for what I have here in Ashton, my home for this year.  I am thankful for the warmth of the people around me.  I’m thankful for the energy and excitement that surrounds the word of God.  I’m thankful that I am surrounded by so many strong Christians.  These are qualities that will never be able to be truly captured in a picture - a still, tangible photograph.  These characteristics will live only in my memories, and in the way I live my life when I leave this town.  I am so looking forward to the next seven months here, and  I’m excited about what else I will learn.

Side Notes...
Today we had Thanksgiving in the Holden household.  They obviously don't get vacation this week for the holiday, so we celebrated today while everyone was home.  It was great and I really appreciated it!

John, Alyson, and me with the terrific decorations

 Rosie, Emily, Jen, and me on "Thanksgiving"

Also, I went to my first wedding here in England yesterday.  It was a beautiful service, and there were a few things that are different to ones in the states.  I really enjoyed the service and the reception, but I had hoped for more hats :)


Rosie, Ali, Emily, Jen, Jilly, and me at the wedding.


I haven't updated you on my chippy recently, and a lot has happened.  First of all, the chippy has changed hands.  This past Friday was the fourth Friday since this has happened, but I finally had the same person serving me two Fridays in a row.  This has put a huge wrinkle in my plan, but I am still hopeful for a lasting friendship with my new chippy lady.  And even through these difficult times I have decided to stand by my chippy like any loyal customer would do.

This past week there was a Christian band, Twelve24, performing at the local high school.  They put on a concert at St. Thomas on Thursday.  We had almost 200 youth in the sanctuary for the concert.  Here is a link to one of their songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K93cr2jhWyo

 I felt like the band's groupie by the end of the week.  They were amazing and their testimony was great for the youth at Byrchall to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment