Monday, December 19, 2011

Busy busy Christmas time...


This has been a very busy time around the church, as I expected.  There are just so many things that are going on at St. Thomas and in Ashton, and I would love to tell you two of the stories that have stuck with me this week.

This past Sunday, December 11, was the “Dressing the Crib” service.  During this service there is a bit read from the Nativity story.  While the reading is going on, some of the children walk forward and bring the characters from the Nativity to place in the stable.  At the beginning of the service, all of the children that come in are dressed like any character from the nativity they want.  This was a bit crazy.  We had to find a Mary and a Joseph, as well as some shepherds, angels, and wise men.  Some children were very opinionated about their costumes, and some couldn’t have cared less.  Either way, keeping about 15 young children somewhat organized and semi-quiet was not a gift God gave me.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the little ones.  I think they are precious, but there’s a reason I went into secondary education and not elementary.  Once they started reading the story, I was in charge of keeping the children from running off – easier said than done.  I had a group of five angels, two of which were hitting me with the stars they had been given to carry, about ready to walk down the center aisle.  One of them looked at me and said, “Are you from America.”  I told her yes, and then her friend responded with, “I know why you’re here.”  I asked her why, and she said, “To talk about God.”  *Pause for dramatic effect*  This put a huge smile on my face and has stuck with me since then.  Yes, I am here to talk about God.  I have a long job description that was compiled before I got here, and was edited a bit during my first few weeks here, but I think we should have just come to this girl from the very beginning.  I am here to talk about God, but not only through my words, but through my actions.  This is something that I think we can all be reminded of.  Who we say we are, what we say we stand for, people are noticing.  Let’s hope it’s for good reasons.

My second story is not nearly as touching, doesn’t involve little five year olds dressed up as angels, or huge epiphanies that will stay with me for years to come, but it does involve my chippy.  This past Friday I went out for my normal Friday fish and chips.  I was a bit later getting to Jack Spratts because I had run a few errands in Ashton, so there was no line.  Two of the girls that normally work the counter were in the sitting area eating their lunch.  The lady who took my order is the owner I’m pretty sure.  Regardless she took my order then went to fix it.  One of the girls that was eating her lunch came to the counter and said, “Are you American?”  I told her yes, and she said “She thought you were Australian.”  She was referring to the other young girl that was working with her.  My thought was really?  Australian?  WAIT, these people have an opinion on me?! 

“No, I’m not Australian, but that would be really cool.”

“Yeah she (pointing at the other girl she was working with) saw you yesterday outside and told me, ‘she has a well cool accent.’  I totally told her you were American.”

So not only have they noticed, they’re talking about me behind my back?!  This is awesome!

“Yup, born and raised.”

“Where are you from?”

“South Carolina, it’s two up from Florida.”

“Oh cool.  I’ve been to Florida twice.”

We continued to talk until my lunch was ready.  I had to let them know that I wanted just salt no vinegar, wrapped together, no need for a bag, but we’ll work on those minor details.  But SERIOUSLY?!  All this time, they’ve just assumed I was Australian?  Well, regardless, I’m hoping this is the start of something new.  I have one last trip this Friday and then it will be two weeks before I see them again.  I’m really hoping that all this progress doesn’t go to waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment