Sunday, January 15, 2012

Happy New Year!

Hello to all from across the pond!  I am so sorry I’ve disappeared for a while, but I’m back.  December was really busy, as you would expect working in a church, and the day after Christmas my boyfriend, Parker, came to visit.  He left on a Tuesday, and my best friend, Jennifer, arrived the next day.  So needless to say, I have been a bit busy with travelling and catching up.  Having these two here to visit was amazing!  We have been able to keep in touch through email, Facebook, and Skype, but it was great to spend time with them and show them where I've been these past five months.

So, as you can guess I have loads of stories to tell.  I could have an entire blog with stories from my travels the past three weeks, but I figured the best way to come back from the New Year would be an update on my chippy.  This update has three parts...

I’ve been asked by many here in Ashton whether I’ve tried other chippies to see if I really like mine the best.  My response was always, “I don’t need to try others.  I know mine is the best.”  Well, this was put to the test when Parker was here.  One afternoon we decided to go out for fish and chips for lunch.  Sadly, my chippy was closed.  During the week between Christmas and New Years it was closed.  So, Parker and I decided to try a different chippy in Ashton.  We got it to go, took it back to the house, and enjoyed...or not.  The chips were too soft, and the fish just didn’t taste as good.  So to all those who have asked or wondered if I have tested other chippies, I’ve tested one, and I was not impressed.

So this second part occurred when Jennifer (JJ) was visiting.  Now, as you know, I normally go to Jack Spratts for Lunch on Fridays, but Jennifer and I went to Liverpool for the day on Friday, so I made an exception.  This was, after all, going to be her only opportunity to eat there.  We headed to Jack Spratts before Drop In for our Friday tea.  I also usually get mine to go, but we decided to sit in and eat.  The girl came and took our order, and Jennifer and I started to chat it up as usual.  When the girl brought our food  to the table she asked, “Do you know Alyson Holden?”  I said “Yes, I’m living with the Holden’s this year.”  She knew the Holden’s and knew they had an American living with them.  She then left and JJ and I carried on.  Then the cook, Bob (I only know his name cause I’ve heard the waitresses say it), said “are those two American accents I hear?”  So we began to chat with Bob, and apparently he has a sister who lives in the north east in the U.S.  I told him that I come in every Friday for lunch.   JJ and I had a pleasant tea, she enjoyed her fish and chips, and I was so excited to have had an actual conversation with Bob.

The last addition to this saga happened this past Friday.  JJ left Friday morning, and I was exhausted.  I had actually considered not going for my fish and chips, but thank goodness I did.  There were two girls behind the counter (I still haven’t learned their names), and they were helping this one man, when one of them turned and said “½ a cod right?”  I said, “Yes ma’am, light please.”  The second girl turns to her and says, “How do you know her order,” and the first girl’s response was, “Well she comes in every Friday for her dinner.”  Ha!  I have made my presence known!

“Are you here studying?”
“No, I’m doing a year of volunteer work here in Ashton at St. Thomas.”
“The church?”
“Yes, I’m working with the youth there.”
“Oh, interesting.  And you’re from Australia?” (This is a different girl from the previous Australia story – proof they were talking about me)
“No, I’m from the U.S.”
“Oh, I’m dead obsessed with the U.S.  I hope to go there someday.  Where are you from in the U.S?”
“South Carolina, it’s two up from Florida.”
“I’ve got family in California” says the other customer waiting on his fish and chips.
“Oh, wow, I’ve never been there.”
Bob then chimes in, “Oh I recognize you from the other night.”
“Yes sir, I try to come every Friday, but I do generally come for lunch.”
“Salt and vinegar?”
“Just salt please.” (Maybe next week she’ll remember that)
“There you go.  Ta love.”
“Thanks so much, have a great day and I’ll see you next Friday.”

Now, it may have taken a great deal longer than I would have intended, but I think I have officially made friends.  This was a great way to start off the new year.  I will, as always, keep you updated on how this relationship develops and grows.  I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year!  I have really appreciated all of your thoughts and prayers, and I’m glad to be back blogging, telling you about my experiences here is Ashton, or Ash-Vegas as some like to call it.

In other news...
I will be leaving tomorrow for Wales for my second conference with TFG (Time For God).  I will be there Monday through Thursday.  I am really excited because I have not yet been to Wales.

Also, here is one of the pictures I got in London.  I am currently having issues with my camera, and getting pictures off of it, but once I do, I will be sure to share some more with you from my travels after Christmas.


No comments:

Post a Comment